Juan-José specializes in all forms of design and construct contracts (including FEED, ECI, EPCM, Managing Contractor, D&C, EPC) and off-take agreements.
He has deep experience advising owners and lenders with respect to mining projects, power and renewable energy projects, major transport projects and water projects. He has worked extensively in Latin America, including in Chile, Argentina, Peru, Colombia and Brazil.
Juan-José has also had extensive experience in project finance, corporate finance, structured finance and infrastructure acquisitions.
He is fluent in English and Spanish and has represented the firm’s clients in South America over the past 14 years, including having lived and worked in Chile for over a year.
Juan-José has recent and ongoing experience advising:
- Codelco in relation to a BOT scheme with respect to a desalination plant to supply desalinated water to its mining operations in Antofagasta, Chile
- Rincon Mining Limited on the development of the Salar del Rincón lithium project in Salta, Argentina
- Mantos Copper in relation to the procurement of major infrastructure for the Mantoverde Development Project and the Mantos Blancos Debottlenecking Project, in Atacama and in Antofagasta, respectively, Chile
- BHP in relation to the procurement of major infrastructure for the Spence Mine Expansion including with respect to a Concentrator Plant and Material Handling Facility, in Antofagasta, Chile
- SCM Minera Lumina Copper Chile in relation to contractual claims relating to the EPCM and other construction arrangements for the Caserones Mine, in Atacama, Chile
Juan-José holds Bachelor degrees in Arts (majoring in History) and Law (Honors) from the University of Melbourne, and has completed a Graduate Diploma of Applied Finance and Investment from the Securities Institute of Australia (Corporate Finance stream). Juan-José is admitted to the New York Bar and is also admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of Victoria and the High Court of Australia.
Juan-José is recognized in the Projects and Energy and Corporate and M&A categories by Legal 500 Latin America 2018. The directory deems him as a "leading figure in mining projects and transactions," as well as an "'insightful thinker' commended for his 'deep knowledge of corporate law and shareholder agreements' and 'deep understanding' of his clients' businesses and culture." Juan-José is also noted as having "'excellent commercial knowledge and skills,' 'a lot of experience in projects,' 'is a very specialized lawyer and is fluent in Spanish,'" and "'his delivery stands out' due to 'his proactive style' and he is 'always asking the right kind of question to better understand how he can help the client.'"
Juan-José is ranked in the area of Energy & Natural Resources by Chambers Latin America 2017 – 2019 and they note that he "is a strong choice to handle financing transactions on behalf of energy companies in Latin America. Clients describe him as "a great asset," highlighting in particular his "ability to understand the commercial side of a deal" and adding that "he's able to deal with problems as they arrive."