Josh is an IP lawyer passionate about helping clients protect, manage and exploit their IP.
He has a particular focus on trade marks and brand assets with expertise including:
- Global trade mark filing, portfolio management and brand protection strategies;
- Strategic and multi-jurisdictional brand clearance advice;
- Assisting on a variety of IP transactions and agreements including commercialisation, coexistence arrangements, IP structuring and M&A deals; and
- Enforcing IP rights and defending brand assets including on grounds of infringement and consumer law and through opposition and non-use removal proceedings before the Trade Marks Office.
Josh works with diverse clients across sectors including consumer goods, tech, fashion, pharmaceuticals, public sector, infrastructure, non-profit organisations and start-ups. His recent experience includes advising and assisting:
- some of Australia’s most iconic consumer, wine, food and beverage brands on the management of their trade mark portfolios both domestically and overseas
- a major Australian media company and Government-owned infrastructure corporation in opposition proceedings including by preparing submissions and evidence
- a luxury fashion label and global software company on expanding their brands overseas
- a major financial services provider on its IP obligations under a significant corporate restructuring
- an Australian company on the IP implications of its product distribution agreements
- a range of charities and not-for-profit organisations on significant rebrands and brand protection strategies
- various businesses on negotiating and drafting the terms of various brand coexistence arrangements including in the context of opposition proceedings
Josh holds a Juris Doctor and Bachelor of Arts from the University of Western Australia and was previously an Associate to the Hon Chief Justice Quinlan of Western Australia.
Josh is admitted to practice in the Supreme Courts of Victoria and Western Australia, the Federal Court and the High Court.