Jonathan Ripley-Evans is a Director based in the Johannesburg office. Jonathan has extensive experience in alternative dispute resolution and general commercial litigation. He has acted as mediator and as advisor in both mediations and arbitrations, domestic and international.
Jonathan's practice is geared towards alternative dispute resolution, in particular arbitration and mediation. He specialises in the resolution of commercial disputes in a wide range of sectors including energy, mining, tourism, hospitality, property and engineering.
Jonathan's experience includes:
- various commercial mediations involving shareholder, company, commercial, property, tourism and sport related disputes*
- various commercial arbitrations domestically and internationally involving: Energy, Shareholder, Financial services, tourism, property, commodity trading, and general commercial disputes*
- Lonmin during the Marikana Commission of Inquiry (and subsequent civil litigation)*
- Massmart in recent litigation against Pick n Pay relating to lease exclusivities (HC, SCA and Constitutional Court)*
*Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills
- BCom – Bachelor of Commerce, Rand Afrikaans University
- LLB: Bachelor of Laws, University of Johannesburg
- LLM: Master of Laws (comparative civil procedure), Universitaet des Saarlandes (Germany)
- Admitted as a Notary Public
- Advanced Certificate in Alternative Dispute Resolution, University of Pretoria/AFSA