Jonathan has been involved in a variety of corporate matters ranging from renewable energy sector transactions in South Africa, B-BBEE driven restructurings, acquisitions, share sales, sale of businesses, share subscriptions and due diligences. Jonathan has also been involved in several contractual enforcement matters from initial stage through to court application.
Jonathan also provides general corporate and company law advice, company and trust administrative assistance, as well as drafting and reviewing opinions, contracts and other corporate documents.
Jonathan's experience includes advising:
- Amsted Rail Inc on its joint-acquisition of the Cast Products division of Scaw Metals and establishment of a joint venture with the IDC*
- Scatec Solar on the disposal of minority interest in three solar photovoltaic projects*
- Norfund on the disposal of interest in two solar photovoltaic projects*
- Enel Green Power on the introduction of minority shareholders into five wind farm projects of approximately 700MW*
- Huge Group Limited on various South African transactions including corporate acquisitions, contractual enforcement and restructuring *
- various international entities on the restructuring of their South African subsidiaries to introduce B-BBEE empowerment shareholders*
*experience prior to joining HSF in August 2019
Before joining Herbert Smith Freehills, Jonathan completed his articles and worked as an associate in the Johannesburg office of a leading international law firm. Jonathan holds a Bachelor of Arts in Politics, Philosophy and Economics from Stellenbosch University and an LLB from the University of Cape Town.