John is a corporate partner and the head of our private equity practice in London. He has worked for investors, corporates and management teams on numerous significant and high-profile transactions, including UK and international buyouts, mergers, acquisitions, disposals, takeovers, joint ventures, minor investments and equity financing.
The focus of John's work is acting for private equity and growth capital funds, investee companies and management teams on investments and disposals. John also brings his investor-side experience to bear in acting for management teams and issuer companies in relation to private equity and growth capital investments.
John's experience includes advising:
- Inflexion in relation to the equity reorganisation and subsequent sale of Succession Wealth
- Metric Capital Partners in relation to its investments in DSM Demolition and SFG Group and in TVHG.
- Impilo, a Swedish healthcare investor, in relation to the acquisition of The Fertility Partnership and VivaNeo, respectively UK and German fertility businesses.
- Cabot Square Capital in relation to its investments in various financial services businesses, including the following:
- its acquisition of Blue Motor Finance
- its acquisition of JBR Auto Finance
- its sale of LDF Finance
- its sale of Asset Alliance
- its acquisition of MSP Capital
- its acquisition of Simply Asset Finance
- an equity restructuring of Propel and its associated partnership with Barclays Bank
- Three Hills Capital in relation to its debt and equity investments in:
- Byron Burgers, including a restructuring by way of CVA and subsequent financing rounds up to and including 2023
- Hunter Wellingtons
- a confidential large casual dining brand
- civil engineering firm WPI
- Fidelio Capital in relation to its acquisition of Rendall & Rittner and associated bolt-on acquisitions
- Vimian/Nextmune, a company formed by Fidelio Capital, in relation to its acquisition of Bova Veterinary, a specialist veterinary pharmaceutical company
Infrastructure and energy transition
- CPPIB in relation to its establishment of a renewables power platform and its management equity arrangements.
- Carlyle on its acquisition of a Romanian oil company and its disposal of the Freeport pan-European retail outlets.
- GIC in relation to its acquisition of a minority investment in CETIN, the central European telecoms infrastructure network
- GIC and BlackRock on their consortium acquisition of Kellas Midstream, a North Sea infrastructure business, from Antin Infrastructure Partners, a French private equity fund.
- Cabot Square Capital in relation to its investments in infrastructure businesses, including:
- its acquisition of Net Zero Buildings
- its acquisition of Premier Modular
- its merger of Net Zero Buildings with Premier Modular
- its establishment of the Autograph Care elder care homes platform
- its sale of Storage King
- Morrison & Co in relation to a renewables joint venture with a renewables developer
- Renewable Power Capital in relation to its battery storage joint venture with Eelpower
- Pátria in relation to its joint venture with AmeriCold in relation to a network of cold storage warehouses throughout Latin America
Growth Capital and Venture Capital
- NetEase in relation to various growth capital investments since 2017 including various investment rounds into Build a Rocket Boy and an ongoing investment into another European video game studio.
- Baillie Gifford in relation to its growth capital investments into advanced technology companies Wayve and Snyk.
- Marcol Health in relation to various investments into equity and convertible notes issued by its tech-driven portfolio companies in the healthcare sector.
- DEG and the European Investment Bank in relation to a growth capital investment in MBirr, a mobile money service.
- Goldman Sachs in relation to investments in internet companies eKomi and Africa Internet Group.
- Tandem Money, a growth capital-backed fintech business in relation to its acquisition of Harrods Bank and successive equity investments involving QIA and Pollen Street Capital.
- Cabot Square Capital in relation to its investment in Moneyfarm, a wealth manager