John is a senior associate within the dispute resolution practice in Tokyo, specialising in international commercial arbitration with experience representing clients in arbitrations under the ICC, LCIA, DIFC-LCIA, JCAA, AAA and UNCITRAL Rules. He holds a PhD in international commercial arbitration and has a particular focus on the pharmaceuticals, energy and technology sectors. John also has specialist experience advising on licensing and IP-related matters. John has been with the Tokyo office for over six years, including as a trainee, and recently completed a two-year secondment with the dispute resolution team in our London office.
John has published in both English and Japanese on international commercial arbitration, international trade and international IP infringement. He is a founding member of the Young Japan Association of Arbitrators, and an editor of the World Arbitration Reporter, Japanese Yearbook of International Law and Doing Business In Japan.
John is licensed to advise upon English law in Japan as a Registered Foreign Lawyer (Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi).
John’s experience includes advising:
- a leading global hotel chain in a DIFC-LCIA arbitration against an Owner arising out of disputes regarding non-payment of fees and alleged mismanagement.
- a US energy major in relation to an equity redetermination of the participating interests in a Nigerian oil field involving ad hoc arbitration proceedings and litigation before the Nigerian courts.
- a Japanese corporation in relation to potential claims against a Middle East State arising out of long term LNG supply and purchase agreements, including on its renegotiation and potential expert determination of the contract price.
- a Spanish construction consortium on various issues in relation to a high speed railway project in the Middle East, including issues of extension of time, potential investment treaty claims and settlement options.
- a Japanese pharmaceutical company in its anticipated ICC arbitration in a dispute with an American pharmaceutical company on issues arising from the non-renewal of a supply agreement for the active pharmaceutical ingredient in medication
- a Middle Eastern company in a JCAA arbitration against a multi-national auto company, on issues arising out of breaches and termination of long-term distribution agreements
John holds a Bachelor of Laws with First Class Honour from Queen Mary University of London and a PhD on procedure in international commercial arbitration at Osaka University. He is fluent in Japanese. John is admitted to practise in England and Wales and is licensed to advise upon English law in Japan as a Registered Foreign Lawyer (Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi).