John is an English and Malaysian qualified corporate lawyer based in Singapore.
John advises clients on M&A, VC investments, joint ventures and other corporate matters.
He has advised on transactions in a range of sectors, including financial services, manufacturing, healthcare, education, real estate, energy and infrastructure. John also advises on restructuring and insolvency matters and financial services regulations.
John obtained a bachelor's degree in law and master's in corporate and securities law from the London School of Economics. He is admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales and as an advocate and solicitor in Malaysia. John was previously based in our Kuala Lumpur office.
John is fluent in English and Malay and has intermediate proficiency in written and spoken Mandarin Chinese.
Experience & expertise
- International Finance Corporation and Armstrong S.E. Asia Clean Energy Fund on their exit from Gia Lai Electricity, a leading renewables company in Vietnam
- Bridgestone Corporation on its acquisition of Otraco International Pty Ltd, a leader in Off-the-Road (OTR) tyre management solutions, from Downer EDI Limited
- UEM Group on its disposal of a 55% stake in the concession holder of the Cipali toll road in Indonesia
- Goldman Sachs on various transactions across Asia, including its investments into Biocon Biologics and the sale of its debt to an Asian budget hotel chain
- British American Tobacco on the disposal of its distributor in Saudi Arabia
- SoftBank Group on its Indian solar power joint venture
- Willis Towers Watson on the disposal of its Labuan insurance and reinsurance broker to Arthur J Gallagher
- TP ICAP on its acquisition of a controlling stake in a licensed money broker in Malaysia
- Sojitz on its investment in and joint venture with, TDA a Dutch aircraft parts distributor
- GIC on its acquisition of 10% stake in Terminal Investment Limited.
- Marubeni on its (i) Series B investment into ePlane Ltd; (ii) Series A investment into AND Global, a fintech solutions developer; and (iii) Series D investment into and distribution arrangements with Skeleton Technologies Group OÜ, an Estonian ultracapacitor manufacturer
- HSBC Asset Management on its seed round investment into Bizbaz, a customer intelligence and risk assessment firm
- a leading global consumer internet company on its venture capital investments into various game developers in North Asia
- a confidential fund, on its (i) investment into GoTo, in conjunction with its pre-IPO fundraising round; and (ii) Series C investment into Carro
- Ayala Land on its takeover offer of MCT, a large property developer in Malaysia*
- a global private equity firm on its acquisition of a medical laboratory services provider*