John also has experience in capital call finance, the TLB product, project finance, the private placement market and secondary debt transactions. Further, John supports the Restructuring, Turnaround and Insolvency team assisting borrowers and lenders with distressed debt solutions.
John's extensive experience working on both front-end finance and assisting distressed companies has helped him ensure his advice is relevant and focused on core issues.
John places particular emphasis on developing long-standing relationships, underpinned by his commercial and can-do approach.
John's broad technical expertise and resourcefulness has helped him deliver on some of the most complex financings seen in the Australian market.
Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills, John worked in the London office of a global US law firm where he gained extensive experience supporting sponsors in, and project-managing, the implementation of cross-border financing solutions.
Recent transactions John has been involved include:
- acted for Apotex and Arrow on the financing aspects of their merger, which created the largest generic pharmaceuticals player in Australia. The financing was undertaken via an innovative unitranche structure
- acted for Cardno Group on its refinancing of its global debt facility platform, including lines to support acquisition-led growth in North America
- acted for The Carlyle Group and Varde on the 2018 refinancing of their BIS Industries asset. The transaction marked the return of BIS to the debt markets following its challenging 2017 restructure
- acted for Archer Capital on its recapitalisation of Quick Service Restaurant Holdings (now Craveable Brands), and subsequent exit. The recapitalisation was undertaken by a first and second-lien Australian law Term Loan B structure, the first of its kind
- acted for Crescent Capital on their successful bid and acquisition of Healthcare Australia