Joel is a senior associate within Herbert Smith Freehills' competition, regulatory and trade practice in Tokyo. Joel has broad experience in various areas of EU and cross-border competition and regulatory law.
Joel has supported a number of global and Japanese clients in relation to the merger control aspects of their transactions, as well as antitrust investigations by the European Commission and other regulators, in particular in the chemicals, resources, consumer goods and media sectors. Working with our disputes team, he is able to support clients on competition disputes and other contentious matters.
Joel has previously worked in the Brussels and Tokyo offices of Herbert Smith Freehills, and has spent close to five years in Europe working on EU competition law matters.
Joel is a fluent Japanese speaker and a graduate of the University of Tokyo.
Joel’s experience includes:
- Anheuser-Busch InBev on the EU competition law aspects of its $106bn acquisition of SABMiller, which created one of the world's largest consumer goods companies (Global Deal of the Year 2016 - The American Lawyer; Matter of the Year - GCR)*
- Comcast Corporation on multi-jurisdictional regulatory filings in respect of its £30bn acquisition of Sky*
- a global company on leniency applications for potential cartel activity across more than 20 jurisdictions, including the EU and Japan*
- a Japanese company in relation to an investigation into its vertical practices in the EU by the European Commission*
- AbbVie on the EU merger filing for its proposed £30bn acquisition of Shire Pharmaceuticals
* indicates experience gained outside of Herbert Smith Freehills
Joel holds undergraduate degrees from the University of Sydney, and a Masters of Laws (LLM) from the University of Tokyo.
Joel is admitted to practice in New South Wales, Australia, and as a solicitor in England and Wales.