Joanne has experience in a wide range of complex commercial disputes, in the context of both High Court litigation and arbitration, many of which have been international in nature. She has a particular interest in collective actions and commercial disputes arising out of mining and energy projects and her expertise includes contractual disputes, actions in negligence, business and human rights, shareholder disputes, partnership disputes, claims involving breach of directors' duties, fraud, injunctions and regulatory and public law matters.
Joanne is referred to in the mining and minerals entry of the Legal 500 UK 2017 as having "experience in handling allegations of pollution and contamination".
Joanne's recent experience includes advising:
- Vedanta Resources Limited in the defence of a group action brought in the High Court in London on behalf of in excess of 3700 members of a Zambian community alleging environmental contamination
- Mirabaud & Cie SA in relation to claims in excess of US$200m against 38 defendants by the Kuwaiti Public Institution for Social Security regarding the defendants' alleged role in the creation and operation of various schemes involving PIFSS' former Director General
- Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation plc (ENRC) in relation to the US$2 billion damages claim by First Quantum regarding ENRC's acquisition of an interest in the Kolwezi Tailings Project in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- RCI Europe, a time share exchange company, in collective action proceedings brought by 487 current and former customers.
- a listed company in relation to a complaint regarding alleged human rights issues in an associated company's overseas operations
- Nortel Networks UK (in administration) and 18 other European Nortel companies on the global insolvency and sale of the Nortel Group, with bespoke proceedings in the US/Canada