Jason is widely regarded as one of Australia’s leading class action, corporate regulatory and product liability specialists. He has over 20 years’ of litigation experience and has defended the largest class action litigation (particularly shareholder claims), regulatory investigations and prosecutions and corporate distress liability issues in the Australian market.
Jason has also acted in the majority of Australia’s largest class actions, including major securities and product liability litigation. He lead the defence of one of Australia’s largest ever product liability class action trials and acted for the defendant in the seminal Australian decision on third party litigation funding in Australia – Fostif.
Regularly called upon by the press to comment on class actions issues, Jason is co-author of the leading class actions text book in the country, “Class Actions in Australia”.
Jason’s experience includes the following matters:
- AMP: defending shareholder class action proceedings arising out of evidence at the Banking Royal Commission
- AMP: defending consumer class action litigation arising out of superannuation products offered by AMP entities
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia: defending two shareholder class actions in Australia, raising claims in relation to the Bank’s AML/CTF compliance and disclosures
- BHP: defending two shareholder class actions arising from the Samarco Dam failure in Brazil
- Lendlease: defending class action proceedings regarding disclosures in respect of Lendlease’s Engineering and Services Business
- NAB: defended NAB against a class action claim concerning disclosures associated with the bank’s CDO portfolio
- Boral: defending two shareholder class action proceedings in respect of disclosure regarding Boral’s North American business
- Toyota: defending a large product liability class action regarding Takata airbags
- OZ Minerals: defended three shareholder class actions, the most recent arising out of the merger between Oxiana and Zinifex
- Newcrest Mining Limited: defended one of Australia’s largest shareholder class action regarding disclosures associated with Newcrest’s FY14 gold production guidance
- DePuy and Johnson & Johnson: defended one of Australia’s largest product liability class action in respect of hip replacement prostheses, culminating in a 19-week trial in the Federal Court of Australia
- Centro: defended several funded shareholder class actions alleging contraventions of Australian securities laws regarded as one of the most complex class actions in Australian history
Jason holds a Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) and a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) from the University of Sydney, as well as a Master of Laws from the University of Virginia, where he specialised in complex litigation, class action litigation and advocacy. Jason is a co-author of the leading Australian text in his area of specialism “Class Actions in Australia” and is a frequent analyst and commentator on class action and regulatory issues in mainstream Australian media.
Jason is repeatedly ranked in Doyle’s Guide as a “Preeminent” Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution lawyer and is recognised as a Star Litigator in Australia by Benchmark Litigation 2020. Jason is also a finalist for Lawyer of the Year (Australia) in the Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific Awards 2020. Jason has won the Lawyers Weekly Disputes Partner of the Year Award four consecutive years (2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019) and the Australian Law Awards Partner of the Year in 2019. Jason has been recognised in Best Lawyers for the "Litigation", "Class Action Litigation" and or "Product Liability" categories each year since his admission to partnership in 2010. He is consistently recognised as a Band 1 individual in Chambers Asia Pacific (Dispute Resolution) and Legal 500 (Dispute Resolution: Class Actions).