James specialises in administrative and public law and related regulatory matters, including judicial review, public inquiries and professional discipline.
James' experience encompasses a range of sectors and forms of dispute resolution. He acts for both commercial entities and those exercising public functions such as regulators, both on court work and before other tribunals. James also has experience advising on information law (particularly under Freedom of Information and similar environmental legislation).
James has worked with clients on contentious matters in numerous sectors, including accountancy, consumer products, financial regulation, not-for profit, pensions, professional discipline, planning, and transport.
James' recent experience includes advising:
- KPMG LLP in its successful defence of judicial review proceedings brought in connection with the FCA's review into miss-sold interest rate hedging products and associated redress exercise
- Stagecoach in its successful opposition to the implementation of a bus franchising scheme in the North East of England
- a large accountancy firm in connection with a professional disciplinary investigation by the Financial Reporting Council
- an accountancy regulator in its successful defence of private law claims brought by a member in connection with disciplinary proceedings
- a company for taxis and private hire vehicles in relation to public law issues connected with UK licensing requirements