James is a corporate partner with extensive experience advising multinational corporations on their investments into Asia, Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Having previously been based with the firm in both London and in Asia, his practice centres around a broad range of multi-jurisdictional corporate and commercial matters, with a focus on EMEA and APAC cross-border mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures.
James' expertise in Asia is particularly strong, having been based there for over 13 years advising leading global corporates on their cross-border investments within the region. His exposure extends across all major industry sectors and his extensive experience is publicly acknowledged by key independent directories with him "favoured […] for his prowess in cross-border transactions." Chambers Asia Pacific 2017.
James' experience includes advising:
- Kirin on the acquisition of a 24.5% stake in Brooklyn Brewery, the largest New York state-based independent craft brewer
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical on the acquisition from Claris LifeSciences of a majority share in an Indian business in the global IV solutions sector, in a deal worth US$193.5 million
- a Southeast Asian sovereign wealth fund on a US$2.2 billion Asian acquisition
- Softbank on the US$31.4 billion acquisition of ARM Holdings plc, the UK-based semiconductor and software design company, the largest ever all-cash investment into the UK
- Swiss Re on the Japanese aspects of its disposal of the Fox-Pitt Kelton investment bank and on its acquisition of the GE insurance business
- Toshiba on the US$500 million sale of its home appliances business to the Chinese corporation, Midea and the 40 year licensing of its Toshiba brand
- UCC Holdings in relation to its €500m acquisition of United Coffee, the biggest independent coffee business in Europe, from Private Equity fund CapVest
- a major US private equity firm and a major European financial investor on their establishment and operation in Japan