James has represented clients in many high profile class action proceedings and has assisted clients navigate complex regulatory proceedings and investigations. James has represented clients in state and federal courts, including both trial and appellate jurisdictions, as well as the High Court of Australia.
James has also published widely on class action litigation, including on topics such as the emergence of class action regimes in Australia, changes in class action law and the complexity associated with competing class actions.
James’ recent experience includes advising:
- Murray Goulburn on a range of issues including the defence of class action proceedings and a proceeding brought by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
- Bellamy’s Australia in relation to two class actions brought by shareholders regarding alleged breaches of Australia’s continuous disclosure regime
- Macmahon Holdings in relation to a class action brought by shareholders regarding certain disclosures made by the company relating to a construction project in 2012
- OZ Minerals in successfully defending a substantial class action proceeding involving multiple parties arising out of a merger between Oxiana and Zinifex
- clients on various regulatory investigations and proceedings
James holds a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) and is completing a Master of Laws at the University of Melbourne.