James has a wide ranging commercial litigation practice and has acted for clients in a variety of industries.
James has acted for a broad range of clients in matters including contractual disputes, construction, property law, class actions, insolvency, banking, corporate law, insurance and debt recovery. He served as the Associate to the Hon. Justice Hall in the Supreme Court of Western Australia. He has appeared in Magistrates Court, District Court, Supreme Court and Federal Court proceedings.
James’ experience includes acting for:
- a car manufacturer in the defence of class action proceedings concerning Takata airbags
- a variety of ASX listed clients in defence of shareholder class action proceedings
- a bank in the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry
- a national construction company in a commercial arbitration
- the RSPCA, conducting criminal prosecutions in respect of animal cruelty offences
- a large insurer in defending negligence claims concerning bushfires
- a trustee in trust litigation, involving declaratory relief and allegations of breach of fiduciary duties
James holds a Bachelor of Laws with Distinction and a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Western Australia. He also holds a Master of Laws with First Class Honours from the University of Melbourne. He is admitted as a barrister and solicitor in all courts in Western Australia and Victoria.