James advises clients on transactional work, ongoing advisory and disputes work for trustee and employer clients.
James's recent experience includes*:
- advising on several acquisitions for a leader in the provision of outsourced services to the waste management sector
- advising Park Homes (UK) Limited on their acquisition of a group of care homes
- advising on the sale of an insolvent SIPP provider
- advising on the successful sale of Drayton Manor Park to Looping Group. Specifically, a part of the land owned by the Drayton Manor Park which was owned by a SASS
- advising a trustee client on a dispute regarding a benefit entitlement dispute
- drafting a wide variety of trust documents, including:
- a deed transferring 15 funded unapproved retirement benefits schemes (FURBs) to a new trustee and terminating the principal employer’s liability to further contribute to the FURBs;
- a deed of appointment and retirement for a bus operator’s staff pension scheme;
- board minutes and a trustee resolution to set up an unfunded pension scheme arrangement for directors of a company who follow Brethren principles;
- a deed winding up a DB pension scheme for Sons & Friends of the Clergy; and
- a resolution amending the rules of a staff DB Pension Scheme for an employer in the aerospace Industry
- providing legal advice to a trustee and member of a relevant small scheme (otherwise known as a SASS) in relation to a member dispute over benefit entitlement.
*Experience prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills