James has extensive experience in advising on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity and corporate finance transactions, and general corporate and regulatory issues.
He has represented clients in a broad range of industries including technology, media and telecommunications (TMT), electronics, publication, aviation, energy, and manufacturing.
James is particularly experienced in advising on TMT issues with a special interest in cybersecurity and data protection and intellectual property issues in China and Asia. He has advised a number of reputable clients on issues and has been frequently quoted on these topics by the media.
James' experience includes advising:
- I Squared Capital Advisers on the US$1.86 billion acquisition of Hutchison Telecommunications' fixed line business, Hutchison Global Communications
- Apple on cloud service and data centre issues in the PRC
- a major state-owned insurance company on its US$300 million investment in an aviation fund
- Vista Group International on its sale of majority equity in its PRC subsidiary to Weying
- a large telecom company on the launch of a satellite in collaboration with a PRC company
- intellectual property matters, specifically trademark and patent infringement and licensing
- on the impact of cybersecurity law and new cybersecurity legislation for international clients operating in China
James obtained his bachelor's degree in law from the University of Manchester, United Kingdom. He was admitted as an attorney in the State of New York in 2009 and passed the PRC bar exam in 2010. He is fluent in English and Mandarin.