James has experience in helping clients through his expertise in international arbitration (under the ICC, LCIA and UNCITRAL rules), litigation and alternative dispute resolution, and is experienced at handling the most legally, factually, and technically complex disputes.
He has a particular focus on construction law and works to deliver successful outcomes for clients in disputes across a range of sectors, including infrastructure and energy.
Based in London, James brings with him a wealth of experience of working with clients across the globe, in particular in the Middle East and Asia. He was previously based in Seoul, and before that he was head of our disputes practice in Doha.
James' expertise is recognised by the leading legal directories, including both Chambers & Partners, who note that clients enthuse that "he has the expertise and his depth of knowledge is very good.", and the Legal 500 where he is recognised as a leading individual for South Korea International Arbitration.
James' experience includes advising:
- an international developer on disputes related to the construction of three separate independent power plants in Saudi Arabia
- an international engineering consultancy on an ICC arbitration related to a major infrastructure development in Oman
- an international contractor on an ICC arbitration against a SE Asian state owned oil company concerning the construction of a petrochemical processing facility
- an international contractor on an ICC arbitration in respect of delays, unlawful termination of a independent power project in Latin America
- an international developer of an IWPP based in Saudi Arabia in an ICC arbitration in respect of delay and disruption claims