Julie specialises in commercial property developments and transactions across a variety of sectors.
Julie first became a partner at Herbert Smith Freehills in 2014 before leaving to join Lendlease for almost five years as their Head of Legal, Development and ultimately as their acting General Counsel of the Property Australia business which included their Development, Investment Management and Retirement Living businesses. Julie returned to the Herbert Smith Freehills partnership in 2020.
Julie has a passion for property law and for development work. She particularly enjoys working closely with in-house legal teams and businesses on complex transactions, including the structuring of a deal and the development of the strategy for a deal as well as following through on those matters through their various stages to completion. She is someone who works well with businesses, understanding their drivers and the need for sound, sage commercial advice.
Julie is recognised as having a unique focus on commercial outcomes for her clients given her in-house experience coupled with her significant private practice experience.
Julie holds a Bachelor of Laws from Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane. She was admitted as a solicitor in the Supreme Court of Queensland in 2001 and was admitted as a solicitor in the Supreme Court of England and Wales in 2006.
- Doyles Guide – Leading Lawyer for Property & Real Estate, 2022
- Best Lawyers – Best Lawyer for Leasing Law, 2023
- Doyles Guide - while Julie was in-house at Lendlease she was listed by Doyles Guide as one of the Leading In-house Property & Real Estate Lawyers in Australia for five consecutive years (2016 to 2020).
Experience & expertise
- RNA Showgrounds, Brisbane – advising on a Build to Rent Project, including joint venture arrangements, to be located at the RNA Showgrounds development in Bowen Hills, Brisbane.
- Salesforce Tower - advising on the acquisition of a 20% interest in the joint venture with Ping An and Mitsubishi for the $2bn development of Sydney Place / Salesforce Tower on George Street in Sydney.
- Harbour Town Shopping Centre – advising on the sale of an interest in the Harbour Town Shopping Centre, Gold Coast to Vicinity.
- Various clients / projects– advising on several fund through transactions on the developer side including One Melbourne Quarter, Two Melbourne Quarter, 25 King Street, Brisbane, Daramu House, Barangaroo, 567 Collins Street, Melbourne, 177 Pacific Highway, North Sydney and the Kings Square Development in Perth.
- Mirvac advising on its 80 Ann Street, Brisbane development, including major commercial and retail leasing within this development to tenants including Suncorp and KPMG.
- Mirvac advising on its proposed 200 Turbot Street, Brisbane development.
- Tattarang/Fiveight/Z1Z – advising on the acquisitions of the headlease interest in Lizard Island, Queensland and Gaia Retreat and Spa in Byron Bay.
- GIC – advising on its acquisition of a 25% interest in the Chevron Tower, 1 The Esplanade, Perth from Brookfield.