Julian is a real estate partner and joint head of the UK real estate investment practice.
Julian has acted on some of the UK's highest profile and complex investment, development, energy, and infrastructure projects. Based in our London office, he has more than two decades advising clients from across the real estate sector on their transactions and projects.
Julian advises institutions, private and public property companies, government, corporates and banks on key structured investment acquisitions and disposals, joint ventures and developments. This includes both domestic clients and also inbound investors, particularly those from Asia.
Julian helps clients with structured investment transactions for the acquisition and disposal of major UK office, retail, distribution and residential properties. His expertise includes designing and implementing complex structured transactions with corporate, tax, finance and property elements. He also acts for institutions and listed property companies on major leasing transactions, including HQ pre-lets.
Julian has also guided clients through major development projects, including several of the UK's largest regeneration projects, including King's Cross Central and Stratford. From Central London offices, major shopping centres, hotels, student housing, residential-led mixed-use schemes and distribution centres, Julian has advised on all aspect of the development lifecycle, with a particular emphasis on development joint ventures.
He has also advised on the real estate aspects of some of the UK's leading infrastructure projects in the energy, airport, rail and transport sectors.
Julian is listed a leading individual in Legal 500 UK (Commercial Property: Investment) and is ranked in Chambers.
Experience & expertise
- Related Argent on its residential-led mixed-use regeneration scheme at Tottenham Hale, London
- Suntec and ARA Dunedin on the £350 million acquisition of 3 Minster Court, London
- KKR on its joint venture for the 190,000 square foot office development of St Michaels, Manchester
- Transmission Capital Partners on its £279 million acquisition of the Transmission Link for the Rampion Offshore Wind Farm
- a multinational real estate company on its residential-led mixed-use development of Deptford Landings, including market sales, private rental sector and affordable housing
- HB Reavis on its redevelopment of Elizabeth House, Waterloo, London into 1.2 million sq ft of workspace and the creation of a new retail space and regenerated public realm
- BC Partners on the corporate acquisition of Selkirk House for £108 million
- London & Continental Railways on the King's Cross Central regeneration project and its joint venture with Argent and on The International Quarter in Stratford and its joint venture with a multinational real estate company, all in London
- EDF on its new nuclear build programme, including the development of the UK's first new nuclear power station in 30 years at Hinkley Point C and its projects at Sizewell and Bradwell
- Hines on numerous office, logistics and student housing projects, including its acquisition, development and financing of the Willow student housing portfolio and its student housing joint venture with Henderson Park
- Brockton Everlast on several Thames Valley office developments, including Thames Tower Reading and The Porter Building Slough, and on Central London acquisitions, including the Foyles Building, Charing Cross Road and 169 Union Street SW1 and the sale of Newcombe House
- URW on the non-retail aspects of its developments at Westfield London and Westfield Stratford, including the letting and forward sale of Building M7 Westfield Avenue and the real estate aspects of the Cherry Park residential development