Joe is a Partner within the Herbert Smith Freehills' Corporate team in Tokyo.
Joe has worked on a wide range of corporate matters for a number of major Japanese companies with a particular focus on M&A, joint ventures and general corporate and commercial transactions. He regularly advises on transactions in both developed and emerging markets and has worked on deals across numerous jurisdictions in the firm's London and Tokyo offices. Joe also has experience across a wide range of sectors including consumer products, manufacturing and industrials, TMT and energy.
Joe was named as an "Up and Coming" lawyer for Corporate and M&A in Japan by Chambers Asia-Pacific in 2023 and as a "Next Generation Partner" for Corporate and M&A in Japan by Legal 500's Asia Pacific 2023 rankings.
Joe holds a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Arts with Honours from Victoria University of Wellington. He is admitted to practice in New Zealand and in England and Wales and is a licensed Registered Foreign Lawyer (Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi) in Japan.
Experience & expertise
- Tokio Marine on the increase of its shareholding in PT Asuransi Tokio Marine Indonesia
- International Data Corporation (IDC) on its acquisition of ETBS, an IT benchmarking and assessment firm based in Australia
- SoftBank Corp. on acquiring an equity stake in IoT mobile provider 1NCE GmbH
- a leading international infrastructure and property focused alternative asset manager in relation to its proposed majority acquisition from a leading telecommunication company of its global network connection and NaaS business
- Sumitomo Corporation on its further investment in M-KOPA Holdings Limited, a pay-as-you-go service provider in Africa
- Monotype Imaging Inc. on its proposed acquisition of Fontworks, a Japan-based font business