James is a solicitor specialising in class actions, contentious regulatory investigations, and commercial litigation. James has particular expertise in the financial services sector.
James advises major financial institutions and leading global corporations in relation to complex and strategically critical litigation and regulatory investigations. He advises predominantly major Australian and international banks on complex class actions, regulatory investigations and associated litigation. He has an in-depth understanding of complex financial products and instruments.
James also has experience advising on non-contentious regulatory implementation and advisory in the financial services sector, with specialist knowledge of the Banking Executive Accountability Regime (BEAR) and the impending Financial Accountability Regime (FAR).
James holds a Bachelor of Arts (Classics) and a Juris Doctor from the University of Melbourne. He is admitted to practice as a solicitor in the High Court of Australia and the Supreme Court of Victoria.
Experience & expertise
- defending a global investment bank in relation to class action proceedings in the Federal Court regarding cartel conduct in the foreign exchange market. The complex allegations relate to coordinated trading, restriction of supply, and price fixing in the foreign exchange market
- defending a leading Australian Responsible Entity in proceedings filed in the Supreme Court of NSW regarding alleged breaches of trustee duties in connection with an attempted hostile takeover of an unlisted property fund
- advising a major Australian bank during the Financial Services Royal Commission and in several associated regulatory investigations
- defending a major Australian bank in Federal Court proceedings brought by ASIC seeking civil penalties for unconscionable conduct and misleading and deceptive conduct. The proceedings related to the charging of periodical payment non-payment fees
- advising a regulator in Federal Court proceedings commenced against a global payments company and its managing director for alleged breaches of continuous disclosure requirements, directors’ duties and misleading and deceptive conduct
- advising a major trading platform on an ASIC investigation in relation to complex trading practices and alleged market manipulation