James is an Associate specialising in pensions.
James advises clients on transactional work, ongoing advisory and disputes work for trustee and employer clients.
James joined Herbert Smith Freehills as an Associate in April 2022. James is a graduate of the University of Kent and the University of Law.
Experience & expertise
- advising on several acquisitions for a leader in the provision of outsourced services to the waste management sector*
- advising Park Homes (UK) Limited on their acquisition of a group of care homes*
- advising on the sale of an insolvent SIPP provider*
- advising on the successful sale of Drayton Manor Park to Looping Group. Specifically, a part of the land owned by the Drayton Manor Park which was owned by a SASS*
- advising a trustee client on a dispute regarding a benefit entitlement dispute*
- drafting a wide variety of trust documents, including:
- a deed transferring 15 funded unapproved retirement benefits schemes (FURBs) to a new trustee and terminating the principal employer’s liability to further contribute to the FURBs;*
- a deed of appointment and retirement for a bus operator’s staff pension scheme;*
- board minutes and a trustee resolution to set up an unfunded pension scheme arrangement for directors of a company who follow Brethren principles;*
- a deed winding up a DB pension scheme for Sons & Friends of the Clergy; and*
- a resolution amending the rules of a staff DB Pension Scheme for an employer in the aerospace Industry*
- providing legal advice to a trustee and member of a relevant small scheme (otherwise known as a SASS) in relation to a member dispute over benefit entitlement*
*Experience prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills