James is a lawyer specialising in transactions and regulation in the insurance sector.
James is a corporate insurance lawyer specialising in transactions and non-contentious advisory work in the insurance sector. James has experience in M&A, business transfers, joint ventures and reinsurance transactions for both (re)insurers and intermediaries. He also advises clients on insurance regulation including in relation to authorisation requirements, the regulatory perimeter, Brexit and conduct of business requirements. In addition, James has worked on matters involving Lloyd's and on insurance distribution arrangements.
James previously undertook a secondment to the in-house legal team at The Phoenix Group and spent 6 months in Dubai in the MENA corporate insurance team of a global law firm.
Experience & expertise
- The Ardonagh Group on the proposed merger between Markerstudy Group and Atlanta Group, Ardonagh's personal lines insurance broking business, funded by new investment led by Pollen Street Capital and Bain Capital Special Situations and valuing Atlanta at £1.2 billion
- Advising an international insurer on the sale of its Lloyd's platform*
- Advising a leading legacy (re)insurer on a number of loss portfolio transfers and other reinsurance solutions*
- Advising a number of European (re)insurers and intermediaries on the impact of Brexit, the UK regulatory regime and Brexit solutions including the establishment of authorised UK branches*
- Advising on several large renewal rights transactions between both intermediaries and insurers*
- Advising on the establishment of a new insurance intermediary with private equity investment*
*Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills.