James provides advice and litigation expertise from the London public law practice.
James has years of experience in government legal departments, the courts, public inquiries, and commercial practice particularly with the London and Sydney offices of Herbert Smith Freehills.
James draws on this experience to analyse a client's needs and desired outcome from all angles and make complex issues simple.
James has successfully litigated for and advised clients on constitutional and administrative law, business and human rights, public inquiries, criminal law and investigations, remedies, ESG, and emerging areas of uncertainty and risk.
James holds a Master of Laws from Harvard University, where he was a Fulbright Scholar. He also holds a Juris Doctor with First Class Honours, the University Medal, and the Supreme Court Judges' Prize for top graduate (ANU), and Bachelor of Science (USyd).
He served as Senior Associate to Justice Edelman of the High Court of Australia, Associate to Justice Jagot, now also of the High Court of Australia, and as a Law Clerk for the Australian Government Solicitor including on secondment to the Royal Commission into the Protection and Detention of Children in the Northern Territory.
Experience & expertise
- a global technology company in relation to the public regulation of its new and existing services
- a global mining and resources company in relation to ESG strategy, business and human rights, and climate litigation
- a core participant in a major public inquiry
- the Australian Stock Exchange in defence of its decision to suspend a fintech company from its official list
- a global bank in defence of criminal charges withdrawn by federal prosecutors