Iria is an of counsel in the Public Law, Energy and Infrastructure divisions, and heads the Madrid office’s Public Law practice. She also specialises in general public law, public procurement and regulated sectors – particularly energy (including renewables), mining and the environment – as well as litigation matters related to these areas.
Iria has more than 13 years experience advising major corporations, global investment banks, equity sponsors and public entities in domestic and cross border transactions. These include acquisitions, public tenders, project development, privatisations and regulatory issues, as well as associated litigation and arbitration matters.
Iria’s experience includes advising:
- Berkeley Resources on the development of an uranium mine in Salamanca, Spain
- CEPSA Química – one of the largest oil & gas companies in Spain – on the sale of its PTA, PIA and PET business to Indorama Ventures, a Thai petrochemical manufacturer
- Cobre Las Cruces on the development and the associated regulatory and environmental aspects of the largest copper mining project in Europe, as well as contentious administrative appeals
- a leading aircraft manufacturer on permitting and environmental issues connected to one of its factories in Spain, and related litigation matters
- Harrah’s on the development and legal and environmental aspects of a project involving the construction and opening of Europe’s largest casino, in Ciudad Real
- Antin Infrastructure Partners and Axión on the intended acquisition of certain mobile telecommunications towers from Telefónica
- many contentious administrative appeals in relation to environmental, public procurement and regulatory issues
Publications and Accolades
Iria’s expertise in administrative law and public law is highlighted by her ranking in Best Lawyers.
She has contributed to several legal journals on topics including electricity sector regulation and environmental risks for major projects:
- "Transferring shares in concession companies" 2016 Journal of Administrative Law. Aranzadi.
- "Regulatory evolution in the electricity sector since 2012" Administrative Law: practical problems and news. Journal 2015, April (2015) Aranzadi
- Environmental Risks for Major Projects - EUROPEAN LAWYER REFERENCE / coord. by Louise Moore, (2012) pgs. 295-310
Iria also lectures in several specialised programmes and masters courses, mostly in energy related areas.
Iria has a law degree from the Universidad Pontificia de Comillas – ICADE plus a graduate degree in Business Studies, a masters degree in new technologies from Villanueva University and a masters degree in energy law from the Spanish Energy Club. Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills, Iria was a senior associate of another international law firm’s projects, energy and infrastructure, and public law practice.