Ina vom Feld specialises in contentious and non-contentious IP with a strong focus on patent and regulatory law in the life sciences sector (pharma, biotech, medtech). She also has extensive experience in TMT, electronics (including e-cigarettes), engineering and chemistry patent disputes. She is very experienced in the conduct of complex patent litigation with an international angle before the German courts and the EPO.
Her particular forte is preliminary injunction proceedings with a track-record of more than ten successful proceedings in the last few years alone.
Ina acts not only in patent/utility model matters but also litigates supplementary protection certificates (SPCs) before the German Patent Office and the German courts. Further, she advises on regulatory and contractual matters (including research and development and clinical trials agreements).
Ina is recommended as a leading life sciences patent litigator by Legal 500, IAM Patent 1000, Best Lawyers/Handelsblatt, JUVE Handbuch Wirtschaftskanzleien (“frequently recommended”), Euromoney’s Expert Guides and Who’s Who Legal.
IAM 1000 says her “proficiency in obtaining preliminary injunctions in multi-jurisdictional life sciences, mechanics and technology, media and telecoms sectors has made her a magnet for discerning clients who cannot afford mistakes”.
In 2014 Ina was selected by the US Federal Circuit Bar Association as a Global Fellow.
Her experience includes:
- representing an international pharmaceutical company in patent infringement litigation relating to a vaccine product*
- representing a German medtech company in patent infringement litigation relating to prosthesis product*
- FTO advice (including EPO opposition work) for international pharma companies relating to antibody products and autoinjector*
- obtaining various preliminary injunctions for an international tobacco company against electronic cigarette products*
- representing an international tobacco company in patent infringement litigation relating to cigarette packaging*
- representing an international digital security company in several patent infringement actions relating to SIM and eSIM technology*
*prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills
Ina vom Feld studied law at the Universities of Cologne and Frankfurt (Main). During her legal education she spent four months working at a commercial lawfirm in the US. She wrote a dissertation on a technology law topic under a scholarship of the Max Planck Society and holds a Doctor of Laws (Dr. iur.) from the University of Frankfurt (Main).
Ina has been a lawyer since 2002 and has practiced at two leading international law firms (since 2008 as a partner) prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills in May 2020.
17th February 2023
The Unified Patent Court and unitary patent are now set to become a reality on...