Ian has over 25 years’ experience advising Japanese and Korean companies on strategic corporate and commercial transactions. Clients include leading trading houses, banks, mining companies, consumer goods and manufacturing companies.
According to Chambers and Partners, Ian has been highly praised for his ability to maintain excellent client relationships and "his level of commerciality is extremely high". He is ranked in Chambers Global 2020 in both Japan and Australia as a leading Corporate/M&A and Mining lawyer.
Ian speaks business level Japanese. (日本語能力試験2級を保有しています)
Ian's experience includes:
- ITOCHU: A$250 million sale of a 5% indirect interest in the Worsley Alumina Project to Press Metal Aluminium Holdings
- Japan Coal Development: Acquisition of a 5% interest in the Mt Pleasant Coal Project
- Challenger: A$401 million share placement to MS&AD Insurance Group Holdings
- Toyota Tsusho: A$282 million acquisition of a 15% shareholding in Orocobre
- McDonald Jones Homes: Acquisition of a 40% shareholding by Asahi Kasei
- Kirin: A$2.9 billion acquisition of the shares in National Foods from San Miguel; A$6.3 billion takeover of Lion Nathan; A$7.3 billion bid with Lion Nathan to takeover Coca-Cola Amatil; and proposed merger with Suntory
- Mitsubishi UFJ Trust & Banking Corporation: A$630 million acquisition of a 15% shareholding in AMP Capital and related Alliance arrangements
- Mitsubishi Corporation: A$10.8 billion joint takeover with Rio Tinto of Coal & Allied; and restructuring of the Clermont Coal Joint Venture as a result of Rio Tinto selling its 50.1% interest to Glencore and Sumitomo Corporation for US$1.04 billion
- Mitsui: A$605 million acquisition of 19.9% of the shares in Sims Metal Management from Hugo Neu Corporation; and acquisition of a 22.5% shareholding in New Forests, Australia’s largest forestry fund manager
- Sumitomo Corporation and Sumitomo Metal Mining: Sale by Rio Tinto of its 80% interest in the Northparkes mine for US$820 million to China Molybdenum
- Fuji Xerox: A$375 million acquisition of the business process outsourcing operations from Salmat
- Japanese Consortium: Consortium of Mitsubishi, JGC, INCJ and Manila Water in A$225 million acquisition of the second largest water infrastructure business in Australia from United Utilities
- POSCO: A$424 million acquisition of 10% of shares in Macarthur Coal and advising in relation to Peabody Energy and New Hope Corporation takeover offers
- Korea Electric Power (KEPCO): A$402 million acquisition of the Bylong coal project from Anglo Coal
- Korean Consortium: Consortium of 7 companies including Korea Resources, KEPCO and Hanwha in A$80 million acquisition of a 10% interest in the Moolarben coal joint venture from Yancoal
- Gulliver International: A$120 million acquisition of a 67% shareholding in DVG, owner of 25 car dealerships
Ian holds bachelor degrees in law and economics from the University of Sydney, and a post-graduate diploma in Politics, Philosophy and Economics from the University of Oxford.
Ian is Vice-President of the Australia Japan Business Cooperation Committee and a Director of the Australia Korea Business Council. Ian is a non-executive director and chair of the audit & risk committee of ASX-listed coal company, New Hope Corporation.
Ian's talents go beyond the legal profession. Ian is the only person ever to have represented both Australia (1984-1990) and Japan (1993) in rugby and also represented Australia in baseball.
In October 2016, Ian was awarded the Japanese Foreign Minister's Commendation (外務大臣表彰) for service to the Japan Australia relationship in business and sport.