Iria heads the Madrid office’s Public Law, Environmental and regulatory practice.
Iria Calviño, who joined Herbert Smith Freehills in June 2009, boasts 18 years of experience in administrative and environmental law, during which she has advised a wide array of large corporations, investment banks, sponsors and public institutions on national and cross-border transactions in the regulated sectors (including energy, water, ports, telecoms, among many others).
She is also an expert on public procurement, project development, public assets and properties, permitting and administrative authorizations, as well as administrative (disciplinary proceedings, administrative appeals, administrative liability) and contentious administrative proceedings.
Publications and Accolades
Iria’s expertise in public, environmental law and regulated sectors is recognized through her accolades and highlighted by her ranking in Best Lawyers, Chambers Europe and Legal 500.
“We get responses that are really focused and directed to resolving the specific problem at hand," say clients. In addition, the department is often praised by clients for its "strong technical knowledge and orientation to the client's needs." Clients value Iria's "personal involvement in the matters”.
In addition, she has been included in Iberian Lawyer’s "Inspira Law Top 50 Women List" for 2018 and 2019, which highlights the most talented women lawyers in the Spanish and Portuguese legal sector.
Iria is one of 50 women worldwide to have been awarded a scholarship to participate in the Banco Santander/UCLA Anderson W50 Program, one of the top executive programmes specific to women in business.
She has published a long list of articles, chapters and studies in different collective works such as in the Aranzadi Yearbook of Administrative Law, or specialised press.
Iria also lectures in several specialised programmes and courses, mostly in public law and energy-related areas.
Iria has a law degree from the Universidad Pontificia de Comillas – ICADE plus a graduate degree in Business Studies, a masters degree in new technologies from Villanueva University and a masters degree in energy law from the Spanish Energy Club. Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills, Iria was a senior associate of another international law firm’s projects, energy and infrastructure, and public law practice.
Experience & expertise
- Ardian on the environmental and public law aspects related to the acquisition of 100% of the shares owned by the counterparties in the "Parque Eólico Los Ausines" wind farm project
- Equitix Investment Management on the acquisition of a 55% Telecom Castilla-La Mancha
- Gestamp Biomass on the €81 million sale of its biomass business in Spain and Portugal to Tikehau.
- Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. (KKR) on its €417 million acquisition of a one-third stake in Acciona Energía International, a Spanish company which will focus on operating the Acciona Group’s renewables assets in Spain (including wind and solar)
- Berkeley Resources on the development of an uranium mine in Salamanca, Spain
- Cobre Las Cruces on the development and the associated regulatory and environmental aspects of the largest copper mining project in Europe, as well as contentious administrative appeals
- Quaero Capital on the acquisition of the entire share capital of Hospital del Tajo and Explotadora del Hospital del Tajo from Assignia Infraestructuras, Instalaciones Inabensa and Sando Concesiones
- First State Investment on the public law aspects related to the acquisition of Parkia, a leading pure off-street car park concessionaire in Spain, from EQT Infrastructure and Mutua Madrileña
- many contentious administrative appeals in relation to environmental, public procurement and regulatory issues