Ioannis is a non-contentious regulatory lawyer specialising in financial services.
Ioannis works on both advisory and transactional matters. He focuses his practice on UK and EU financial services regulatory law with an emphasis on banking regulation and bank resolution. He acts on behalf of a wide variety of clients including regulators, banks, fund managers and payment services providers.
Ioannis covers a broad spectrum of regulatory issues including licensing, restructuring, multi-jurisdictional compliance and regulatory considerations arising in the context of corporate transactions.
Ioannis has a Ph.D. in Financial Law (University of Luxembourg), a Master in Corporate Law (University of Cambridge), a Master in Economics and Finance (Athens University of Economics and Business), and holds a B.A. degree in Law (Democritus University).
Ioannis has worked as a bank resolution expert at the Single Resolution Board and has joined Herbert Smith Freehills in September 2022 from a leading international law firm.
Ioannis has served as a guest lecturer in many universities in Europe and is often published in top-tier publications on issues of financial regulation.
Experience & expertise
- BRRD/SRMR: advised the Single Resolution Board, a number of banks and other financial groups on bank resolution matters including on the enforceability of bail-in on contingent liabilities, the MREL eligibility of financial instruments, the firms' internal policies on operational resilience and the implementation of the resolution tools*
- MiFID II: advised an energy company on perimeter issues in relation to virtual power purchase agreements*
- PSD II: advised two international payment services providers on the scope of the EU regulatory framework*
- MAR: advised an asset management company on its disclosure obligations*
- Outsourcing: advising a UK firm on the regulatory requirements for outsourcing critical services to an overseas firm
*Experience gained prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills