Ian is a senior associate in the planning team of our London Real Estate department.
Ian has significant experience advising on the consenting and delivery of major infrastructure projects, predominantly in the energy and transport fields.
He works with clients on all aspects of contentious and non-contentious planning, including environmental impact assessments, habitats regulations, compulsory purchase and judicial reviews.
Prior to joining the firm, he has also worked as part of the legal teams for ScottishPower Renewables, Heathrow Airport and in the Government Legal Department, advising the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government on infrastructure and environmental matters. This has allowed him to develop a broad range of experience in the infrastructure/development sector, from a number of different perspectives.
He is admitted as a solicitor in Scotland, and England and Wales, and has provided legal advice on projects across the U.K.
Experience & expertise
- Heathrow Airport Limited on its proposed development consent order (DCO) application for the Heathrow Expansion project
- Smart Wind Limited/DONG Energy on the DCO applications for the Hornsea Project One and Hornsea Project Two offshore wind farms
- ScottishPower Renewables (whilst on secondment) on the land assembly and consenting aspects of various projects within its on- and offshore development portfolio, as well as on the construction and delivery of the East Anglia One Offshore Wind Farm
- EDF Energy on its DCO application for the Sizewell C new nuclear power station
- Gatwick Airport Limited on its development consent proposals to bring the existing Northern Runway into routine use
- Mainstream Renewable Power on the promotion of a compulsory purchase order to secure the necessary land rights for the onshore components associated with the Neart na Gaoithe offshore wind farm. This was the first such compulsory purchase order granted by the Scottish Ministers in connection with an offshore wind farm