Hywel acts for a wide variety of banks, insurers and other financial institution clients with a principal focus on contentious financial services regulatory matters. He advises clients in relation to FCA enforcement, challenging PRA decisions, and dealing with the Financial Ombudsman Service.
Hywel also helps clients with managing skilled persons’ reviews, internal investigations and making notifications to regulators to avoid subsequent enforcement. He frequently advises clients on compliance with their regulatory requirements and governance issues, including in relation to senior management, individual accountability and attestations.
Hywel has experience across the retail and investment banking sectors, and acts for insurers and asset management clients.
He frequently assists retail and wealth management clients with issues involving consumer redress, complaints handling and matters involving the Financial Ombudsman Service; Hywel advises firms on implementing effective strategies for managing high volume issues as well as providing technical advice on individual complex cases. This includes assisting clients targeted by the FCA using its redress power under section 404F(7) FSMA.
Hywel has recently advised clients on matters including internal disciplinary investigations and regulatory reporting of conduct of approved persons; making notifications in relation to transaction reporting; governance arrangements under CRD IV; variations of permission; and multiple systems and controls issues.
Hywel was commended in Legal 500 2015 as being "practical and commercial", "praised for …contentious work" and in 2014 was described as "technically very strong and has good industry knowledge".
Hywel's experience includes advising:
- advising a major UK retail bank on complaints-handling, and FCA information requirements. This included scoping and executing a review of past complaints handling; advising on individual complaints and legal claims, settlement and the relationship with the FOS; and enhancements to new product documentation.
- insurers in successfully handling FCA Enforcement proceedings; and advising others on challenging PRA decisions, including in relation to capital requirements and other Solvency II measures.
- advising Capita Financial Managers in relation to the publicly announced FCA investigation into the Connaught Fund.
- acting for a major global investment bank on a cross border investigation including making regulatory notifications in relevant jurisdictions
- several banks on implementing the Senior Managers and Certification Regime, including for overseas branches; and conducting governance reviews to help clients consider more generally how the regulators' approach to individual accountability interacts with corporate decision making.
Hywel read PPE at Exeter College, Oxford between 1998–2001 before gaining distinctions from Nottingham Law School in both the graduate diploma in Law (2002–03) and LPC (2003–04).