Hugh is a senior associate specialising in technology and telecommunications law and has over ten years of legal experience advising private and public sector clients on a range of legal, commercial and regulatory matters in the technology, media, telecommunications and data field in the UK and Australia. Hugh has extensive experience supporting both suppliers and customers in relation to technology related outsourcing; telecommunications services and infrastructure arrangements; intra-corporate-group supply agreements; technology product and service development; and software and platform licensing and use. He also has experience advising on the telecommunications regulatory environment in Australia.
Hugh has spent time in-house while on long-term secondment to the wholesale division of Telstra Corporation, a major Australian telecommunications provider.
Hugh has advised:
- A major state-funded start up in the Middle East on various supply agreements for the acquisition of digital infrastructure, hardware, software, platforms and other technology services
- A major state-funded start up in the Middle East on its agreements for the provision of a number of technology, digital infrastructure, data and telecommunications services and products to customers
- UK based global distributor of high value consumer and commercial products on its business process outsourcing of its back of house finance and accounting functions across the client's corporate group globally
- A large global technology company on its communication infrastructure agreements with numerous suppliers throughout Europe, the Middle East and Africa, including for the provision of fibre transmission services, dark fibre infrastructure, colocation and data centres
- TSB Bank on the outsourcing of TSB's IT infrastructure and services to IBM and the transition away from TSB's previous service provider
- A UK government ministry on its outsourcing of a large volume of IT hardware and software used to support its operations all around the world
- Transport for London on the re-procurement of its radio network services supporting the London Underground, including the rollout of new radio network infrastructure
- Telstra Corporation on the sale and transfer of its Australian fixed line telecommunications networks to nbn co limited, the public company established to build and operate Australia’s national broadband network *
- Telstra Corporation on its agreements for the supply of wholesale telecommunications services and infrastructure, both domestically and internationally throughout the Asia-Pacific region, including transmission services, exchange and mobile network access, support on new product development for transmission services and dark fibre services, MVNO offerings and IP transit and peering *
*Experience prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills