Hubert has extensive experience advising on public and private mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, corporate governance and group reorganisations. He is also a key board room adviser on a range of critical issues, including shareholder activist matters and crisis management. He practices across a range of sectors. He regularly collaborates with regulatory bodies (such as the AMF) and other professional organizations on matters affecting corporate and financial regulations and has published more than thirty papers on these topics. Chambers Europe/Chambers Global, The Legal 500, IFLR1000, Who's Who Legal, Best Lawyers, Acritas and Corporate Law Experts list him as a leading lawyer. Hubert is also the exclusive winner of the Lexology Client Choice Awards 2019 for M&A in France.
He currently acts as head of HSF's Paris corporate practice and served as Managing Partner of the Paris office for four years.
Hubert’s recent experience includes advising:
- April (a French insurer listed on Euronext Paris), on the €900 million takeover offer launched by British fund CVC Capital Partners
Banque des Territoires (Caisse des dépôts et consignations) in the context of its investment alongside Groupama in Predica Energies Durables (PED), an investment company of Crédit Agricole Assurances, in relation to the legal due diligence of the two portfolios FEIH and FEIH2 which hold wind and solar projects jointly operated with Engie and representing a total capacity of 2 GW.
Danone on its acquisition (in two stages) of Michel et Augustin, on its acquisition of Fan Milk International, a leading manufacturer and distributor of frozen dairy products and juices operating in West Africa, and on its acquisition of some of Laiterie Trèfle's assets in Algeria
ERAMET (a French miner listed on Euronext Paris) on its non-solicited takeover offer to acquire Australian listed company Mineral Deposits Limited
- E Ink (a Taiwanese listed company specialised in the Electronic Shelf Labels and Retail Signage Displays activity) on its investment in the French Euronext listed company SES-imagotag through the subscription to a reserved share capital increase
CMA-CGM, an international container terminal operator, as member of a consortium with German and Russian investors, on the acquisition from the Greek State of a controlling (67%) stake in Thessaloniki Port Authority, the company operating the port of Thessaloniki and listed on the Athens stock exchange
Futuren (an independent onshore wind producer of electricity listed on Euronext Paris), on the takeover offer by EDF Energies Nouvelles
- UBS (France) on its acquisition of 100% of Banque Leonardo, an independent French bank focused on wealth management and investment banking, a large-scale reorganisation of the UBS group in France and the creation of an asset management joint-venture, which manages approximately 4.5 billion euros worth of assets, with La Maison
- CBRE on the acquisition of Convergences Immobilières and its subsidiary Convergences Gestion
- Shaanxi Ligeance Mineral Resources (Chinese aerospace and mining company) on its acquisition of Gardner Aerospace (aerospace parts manufacturer), in particular in relation to receiving the approval by the French Ministry for the Economy and Finance
- Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations, Solvay Participations Belgique, and Marubeni Europe plc on setting up a joint venture for the holding, financing and operation of European cogeneration plants operated at Solvay industrial sites, including an initial portfolio of four SPVs operating in France and Italy - European Power deal of the Year Award, IJGLobal Award 2016
- Maurel & Prom (France-based oil extraction and production company listed on Euronext Paris) on the takeover offer by Pertamina (Indonesian state energy firm)
- Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co (KKR) on the French aspects of the acquisition by Lonza Group AG (Swiss chemistry group) of the leading biopharmaceutical company Capsugel S.A. for an amount of USD 5.5 billion
- Euler Hermes on its collaboration with Moody's to launch credit ratings services for European SMEs
- Publicis Groupe on the structuring of its venture capital programme to invest in 90 start-ups in twelve months through convertible bonds
- Maurel & Prom on its merger with MPI, both companies being listed on Euronext in Paris
- The shareholders (Virgin, Carphone Warehouse and Financom) on the sale of 100% of Virgin Mobile France to SFR Numericable
- Farallon Capital Management on the €1.25 billion acquisition by Powerhouse France of Financière SELEC, a company owning a portfolio of approximately 7,600 individual residential properties, from funds managed by LBO France and RREEF
- Theolia (an independent onshore wind producer of electricity from onshore wind energy listed on Euronext Paris), on the takeover offer launched by Macquarie European Infrastructure Fund 4
- BNP Paribas on the acquisition of Fédéris Epargne Salariale
- BNP Paribas on the sale of Cortal Consors Select to Groupe Primonial
Hubert’s recent experience in Equity capital markets includes advising:
- BNP Paribas on the setting up of a contingent equity line for SCOR for € 200 million
- Euler Hermes Group, on the buyback of approximatively 4.9% of its own shares under the private share placement to institutional investors via an accelerated bookbuilt offer launched by Allianz Vie of an 8.6% stake
- Safran SA on the issuance of bonds convertible into new shares and/or exchangeable for existing shares (OCEANEs) for a nominal amount of approximately € 650 million
- BNP Paribas on the setting up of a contingent equity line for COFACE for € 100 million
- XPO Logistics on the delisting of its shares from Euronext London
- Theolia on its € 60 million capital increase by issuance of shares with subscription warrants attached (ABSA)
- Maurel & Prom on (i) the issue of net share settled bonds convertible into new shares and/or exchangeable for existing shares (ORNANE) for a nominal amount of approximately €253 million (after exercise in full of the over-allotment option) and (ii) the repurchase of the bonds convertible into and/or exchangeable for new or existing shares (OCEANE), completed off-market as part of a reverse book building process and continued on the market under the same terms
Hubert’s recent experience in Corporate governance includes advising several CAC 40 and SBF 120 companies in relation to their governance related matters such as compensation of executive officers and board members (remuneration and incentive plans), board of directors and committees (including board and committee composition and processes, board evaluation, succession and removal processes and policies and management and prevention of conflicts of interest), preparation of internal corporate governance codes of good conduct, registration documents, reports of the board, resolutions to be submitted to shareholders' meetings.
Hubert's expertise is regularly highlighted by French, European and Global rankings, such as Chambers Europe/Chambers Global, The Legal 500, IFLR1000, Who's Who Legal, Best Lawyers, Acritas and Corporate Law Experts list him as a leading lawyer. He is also the exclusive winner of the Lexology Client Choice Awards 2019 for M&A in France.
- Winner of the Client Choice Award for M&A in France granted by the Client Choice Awards 2019 and run by Lexology
- Nominated by Acritas Stars as a "Star Lawyer" - Acritas Stars 2017-2019
- Recognised for Corporate/M&A for France by Chambers Europe 2009-2018 and Chambers Global 2012-2018 (High-End Capability)
- Named as an Expert Lawyer for M&A in France by Expert Guides 2018 – Banking, Finance and Transactional Law
- Recognised for Corporate Law in France by Best Lawyers 2018
- Ranked as highly regarded in IFLR 1000 2018 (M&A, ECM, Private Equity)
- Recognised by Who's Who Legal 2017 and 2018 among the world's leading M&A and Governance Lawyers
- 'Hubert Segain has considerable experience advising French and international clients on merger, acquisition and joint venture operations. He is described as a "really smart guy and a pleasure to work with."' Chambers Global 2019
- "Hubert has a vast knowledge of market intelligence and technical expertise. He is consistent in the quality of legal service he provides. He is very effective and proactive; he is extremely professional and highly competent. He identifies wider implications which is invaluable. Hubert is client focused; he has excellent knowledge of our needs and expectations." (Client Choice Awards 2019 (France, M&A))
- "Hubert Segain is well known in the French corporate sphere for his first-rate work on international transactions" (Who's Who Legal, M&A, 2018)
- "Hubert Segain continues to impress sources with his expert handling of a range of corporate governance matters for both domestic and international clients" (Who's Who Legal, Governance, 2018)
- "According to clients, Hubert Segain is "very astute and good at moving a transaction forward," possessing particular expertise in international mandates. He also advises on regulatory and corporate governance aspects." (Chambers Global 2018)
- Practice head Hubert Segain has ‘real business sense and is as good dealing with IP issues as antitrust or corporate matters and knows how to work with local counsel’(Legal 500 EMEA 2017)
- “He is a go-to lawyer for any type of question related to a corporate transaction. He is an excellent lawyer, and Hubert has acute business sense and a very good knowledge of tax, HR and compliance issues. He managed to understand very well the needs and constraints we have in M&A transactions and to reflect it immediately in the draft agreements, without me having to ask for it. His anticipation of his clients’ needs is highly appreciated.” (Chambers Europe 2017)
- 'Hubert Segain regularly handles mergers and acquisitions involving Africa'. (Chambers Global 2017)
- 'Hubert Segain offers clients exceptional corporate expertise and is well known for his Africa-related experience' (Who's Who Legal, M&A and Governance 2017)
- Practice head Hubert Segain is ‘a good negotiator, technically very capable, who plays a good mediating role in challenging circumstances’ (Legal 500 EMEA 2016)
- He is described by clients as "a tier one lawyer" (Chambers Europe 2016)
- He is described by clients as "an exception on the Paris market because of his availability, flexibility and quality of advice" (Chambers Europe 2016)
- Chambers Global 2015 reported that Hubert is appreciated by clients for his 'constructive approach' and 'good perception in M&A transactions', with a client mentioning that 'he's the kind of lawyer that any CEO would dream of working with; he has deep knowledge and expertise in his field while understanding strategic needs'.
- ‘Excellent technician’ and ‘fine negotiator’ Hubert Segain stands out for his ability to ‘find solutions' (Legal 500 EMEA 2015)
Hubert is a Member of the Paris (1999) and New York State bars (2001) and graduated in France (DEA droit privé at la Sorbonne and DEA droit des affaires at Assas) and in the US (Master of Laws at Yale Law School).