Heydon has significant experience advising clients on Australian and UK competition law, including competition litigation, regulatory investigations and complex merger control matters.
As a competition litigator, Heydon has acted in cartel, misuse of market power and merger authorisation proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia and Australian Competition Tribunal. He has also been involved in multi-party competition damages proceedings in the English High Court and UK Competition Appeal Tribunal in relation to standalone and follow-on claims stemming from European Commission infringement decisions.
Heydon’s merger control experience includes advising on local and multi-jurisdictional acquisitions and joint ventures in sectors including financial services, technology and telecommunications, energy and healthcare. Heydon has assisted clients with mergers before the ACCC and CMA.
Prior to practising in the Sydney and London offices of Herbert Smith Freehills, Heydon was an Assistant Director at the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and draws on this experience to offer insight on approaches to regulatory engagement.
Heydon’s experience includes advising:
- confidential clients involved in ACCC civil and criminal cartel investigations;
- major multinational bank MUFG on competition damages proceedings in the English High Court and UK Competition Appeal Tribunal relating to foreign exchange trading;
- an international communications and software supplier during a CMA Phase I and II merger investigation;
- AGL Energy Limited on merger authorisation proceedings in the Australian Competition Tribunal for its $1.5 billion acquisition of certain Macquarie Generation electricity assets*
- an Australian mining company in proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia in relation to cartel conduct allegations*
- a Southeast Asian government on the development and implementation of competition law*
* experience prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills
Heydon holds a Master of Law (First Class) from the University of Cambridge and a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws from the University of Sydney. Heydon is an Australian-qualified solicitor and has practised in our Sydney and London offices.