Helen has 20 years’ experience in class action proceedings and contentious regulatory matters. She offers expertise in complex commercial cases involving strategic and regulatory issues.
Helen has represented clients in the High Court of Australia, the Federal Court of Australia, state Supreme Courts and the ICC International Court of Arbitration, as well as in negotiations and mediations. She also acts for clients in connection with investigations conducted by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.
Helen is recognised by Asia Pacific Legal 500 as a next generation partner in class actions.
Helen is co-editor of 25 Years of Class Actions in Australia: 1992-2017 and author of papers on causation and loss in Australian securities class actions.
Helen’s experience includes:
- acting for the State of Victoria in defending multiple class actions relating to Hotel Quarantine
- acting for Coles in defending an employment related class action
- acting for Mayne Pharma in defending a securities class action relating to alleged non disclosures concerning US competition law matters
- acting for Murray Goulburn in regulatory investigations and class action proceedings
- securities class action proceedings, including Telstra, Centro, and Treasury Wine Estates
- an investor class action relating to a forestry-based managed investment scheme
- ACCC cartel proceedings
- acting for gas producers in gas price review arbitrations
- ICC arbitration of a joint venture dispute
Helen holds Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws (Hons) degrees from the University of Melbourne. Helen is admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of Victoria, the Federal Court and High Court of Australia, the Supreme Court of England & Wales and the High Court of Hong Kong.