Hannah works with clients and colleagues globally on complex issues relating to arbitration, dispute resolution, enforcement of awards and judgments, and public international law.
She has advised on a number of investment treaty arbitration matters and issues, including advising clients on investment structuring and on pursuing investment treaty claims. She also has experience in advising on a range of other matters of public international law, including state immunity and immunity of international organisations. Hannah has also represented clients in ad hoc commercial arbitrations and proceedings under the auspices of major arbitral institutions.
Hannah regularly speaks and publishes on arbitration and public international law related issues and developments and is a co-author of chapters on Arbitration, ADR and Enforcement of Foreign Judgments in Blackstone's Civil Practice (pub. OUP).
She is a member of the Law Society’s Trade in Legal Services Working Party, helping to develop policy positions in relation to ongoing trade negotiations and implementation of trade agreements between the EU and other states. Hannah has been involved in the firm's Brexit-related work, advising clients on the impact of Brexit on dispute resolution, enforcement and choice of governing law.
Hannah's experience includes:
- advising a European investment bank on the impact of Brexit on dispute resolution choices in the context of novation of part of its business.
- advising a west African state on an investment treaty claim threatened against it
- advising on the arbitration and enforcement aspects of the settlement of a dispute between a client and a former partner.
- helping a global investment bank revise its global know-how and policies on arbitration, jurisdiction, and service of process
- advising a global banking and financial services provider on complex dispute resolution choices and multi-party and multi-contract arbitration issues in relation to a prepayment facility
- advising on issues relating to arbitration and the immunity of international organisations in connection with a gas project in West Africa
Hannah spent six years as a Professional Support Consultant advising clients and colleagues across Herbert Smith Freehills' global arbitration practice. Before joining the firm in 2012, Hannah was a Senior Associate in the international arbitration practice of another global firm.