Hao specializes in international arbitration in the fields of construction, infrastructure and energy.
Hao has experience in advising PRC, Hong Kong and multinational companies, with a particular focus in construction. He has acted for employers, contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, engineering consultancy firms and architecture firms in both contentious and non-contentious sides of construction matters, including arbitrations, claims preparations, construction contract review and drafting, project execution, etc.
Hao is a Hong Kong-qualified solicitor, and regularly advises clients in English, Mandarin and Cantonese. Hao obtained his JD and PCLL degrees from the University of Hong Kong, he also holds Bachelor and MPhil degrees in civil engineering from the same university. Hao was a civil engineer prior to his legal career.
Experience & expertise
- represented a Chinese SOE oil and gas company in an DIFC-LCIA arbitration (administered by LCIA following the abolishing of DIFC-LCIA in 2021) as Respondent against its subcontractor in relation to an oil infrastructure construction project in Saudi Arabia. (Governing Law: Saudi Arabia; Seat: Dubai)*
- represented a Japanese construction company in an ICC arbitration as Respondent against its local civil and structural work subcontractor in relation to an infrastructure construction project in Qatar. (Governing Law: Qatar; Seat: Doha)*
- advised a leading global technology company on staying Hong Kong court proceedings in favour of arbitration. The court proceedings were initiated by the client's logistic services provider, concerning disputes over alleged transshipment costs and outstanding freight in relation to the shipment of the client's cargo by sea*
- represented an international architectural firm in an HKIAC arbitration as Claimant against a property developer in relation to a commercial property expansion development project in Hong Kong. (Governing Law: HK; Seat: HK)*
- represented a Hong Kong electrical and mechanical engineering company in two HKIAC arbitrations as Respondent against the same subcontractor in relation to two swimming pool construction projects in Hong Kong. (Governing Law: HK; Seat: HK)*
*prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills