Greg practices across a range of sectors (including mining, oil & gas, FIG and TMT) and heads the firm's mining practice in the UK. He is also an elected member of the firm's global board and was previously a member of the firm's partner promotions committee. He is a member of the firm's Crisis Management steering group.
He is a key board room adviser on a range of critical issues, including shareholder activist matters and crisis management.
Greg's experience includes advising:
- Polyus Gold International Limited on its US$9 billion unsolicited takeover offer by Sacturino Limited
- Essar on the US$5.5 billion sale to Vodafone of its interest in Vodafone Essar Limited, and on the joint venture and related settlement
- BHP Billiton on various matters, including the divestments of significant mining assets
- Petroceltic International plc on its share for share merger with Melrose Resources Plc, share placing, takeover approach by Dragon Oil and campaign by an activist shareholder
- the financial adviser to Shell on its £35 billion merger with BG
- financial advisers to Kraft Foods on its £11.9 billion takeover of Cadbury plc and subsequent takeover panel actions; sponsors and financial advisers to the London Stock Exchange on its proposed £1.9 billion merger with TMX Group, owner of the Toronto Stock Exchange; and sponsors and financial advisers on the £5.3 billion merger between British Airways and Iberia
- initial public offerings, including for Standard Life (acting for the banks), Energy Assets (acting for the issuer), Cadogan Petroleum (acting for the banks), Germany1 Acquisition (acting for the banks), MW TOPS (acting for the issuer), Phoenix IT Group (acting for the banks), QinetiQ Group (acting for the issuer), Rightmove (acting for the banks)
Greg is listed as a leading lawyer by Chambers, Legal 500 and IFLR1000. He is the treasurer and committee member of the Anglo Australasian Lawyers Society.
He regularly lectures on Securities Law at the University of Cambridge Judge Business School Executive Program. He edits Herbert Smith Freehills' Regulation of Public M&A in Europe; contributes chapters to Butterworths Takeovers: Law and Practice (Second Edition) and co-authored The controlling shareholder: A complex relationship for listed companies for PLC Magazine, July 2014.