Grant helps clients subject to regulatory investigations and actions, including Australian Federal Police, Independent Commission Against Corruption, ASIC, Royal Commission and ACCC inquiries and proceedings.
Grant is an experienced commercial litigator who has an outstanding record of success in contested litigation, including defending Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) proceedings, Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) proceedings, and substantial civil and class action claims.
Chambers Asia-Pacific has described Grant as “an exceptional lawyer for ‘bet the farm’ litigation” and “a very clever, practical and commercial lawyer who will do everything he can to get his client the outcome they need”.
Grant regularly advises clients in relation to anti bribery and corruption issues. Chambers described him as “a heavy hitter in this space” and Asia Pacific Legal 500 describes him as “Stellar”. He is ranked by Chambers as a Band 1 Individual and heads the firm’s Chambers Band 1 Australian anti bribery and corruption practice.
Grant is an accredited mediator under the National Mediation Accreditation System. He trained as a mediator at the Harvard Negotiation Institute and the Resolution Institute.
Grant's experience includes advising:
- Tabcorp as solicitor on the record in successful Australian Competition Tribunal proceedings seeking authorisation of its merger with Tatts
- a publicly listed Australian company in AFP investigations into foreign bribery allegations in Cambodia
- a publicly listed Australian company in relation to foreign bribery allegations in Papua New Guinea
- a publicly listed Australian company in AFP and ASIC investigations into foreign bribery allegations in India
- Macquarie defending a A$3.7 billion claim in litigation arising from the BrisConnections project
- Boral in the Royal Commission into Trade Union Governance & Corruption
- White Energy in an Independent Commission Against Corruption inquiry concerning the granting of coal licences in New South Wales
- Metcash in successfully defending ACCC proceedings seeking an injunction of Metcash’s acquisition of Franklins
- Rexel in ACCC cartel proceedings
- Caltex in ACCC enforcement proceedings
Grant has been a partner since 2001.
Numerous publications recognise Grant as one of Australia’s leading commercial litigators and regulatory enforcement lawyers, including Chambers, Asia Pacific Legal 500, Doyle’s, Who’s Who Legal and Best Lawyers.
A former Fulbright Scholar, Grant holds a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) from the University of Auckland in New Zealand, and a Master of Laws from the University of Virginia in the United States.
Grant is recognised as a Star Litigator in Australia by Benchmark Litigation 2020.