Gonzalo helps banks, alternative lenders, borrowers and sponsors structure and implement sophisticated finance transactions, including acquisition finance, project finance, real estate finance, restructuring and insolvency, and general corporate finance. He is also focused on advising domestic and international special situations funds on the assessment of distressed debt investment opportunities and the implementation of different workout strategies.
Gonzalo regularly works with clients on multi-jurisdictional finance transactions acting for banks, alternative lenders, private equity sponsors and major corporates, including the financing aspects of takeover bids and distressed debt investments.
Gonzalo is also highly experienced in corporate law and has advised domestic and international public and private companies on mergers and acquisitions (including takeovers), private equity transactions (leveraged buy-outs, management buy-outs and public-to-private deals) and joint ventures.
Additionally, Gonzalo has advised on capital markets transactions, including initial public offerings, rights issues and convertible bond issues.
Gonzalo´s experience includes advising:
- a Spanish consortium, including Abengoa, ACS Cobra, Indra Sistemas, OHL, Adif, Renfe and Patentes Talgo, among others, on its guarantee facility agreement with a syndicate of Spanish banks for the construction and operation of the Haramain High-speed Railway project (HHR) linking Meca and Medina, the two holy cities in Saudi Arabia
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Oaktree, Hayfin, Oak Hill and other international funds on the acquisition of a number of secured and unsecured, performing and non-performing loan portfolios and single names
- Magnum Capital Industrial Partners on the financing of the acquisition (LBO) of Iberchem, a group of companies involved in the production of fragrances and flavours, and the subsequent recap of the group
- BNP Paribas, CACIB, BBVA, Banco Santander and Bankia on the financing granted to Carlyle for the acquisition of Grupo Palacios
- Goldman Sachs International on the €66 million refinancing of the corporate debt of Grupo SAR Patrimonial IPM
His expertise in the finance practice is highlighted by listings in legal directories such as Chambers Europe, Legal 500, Who's Who and Best Lawyers, among others. His clients comment that he is "a really good lawyer, very calm and he provides what we need.” Gonzalo "is a deal maker; he is constructive and easy to work with. He is also praised for his strength in negotiations".
Gonzalo has a degree in law and business administration from the Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE E-3) in Madrid. He joined Herbert Smith Freehills from the Madrid office from another international law firm (Allen & Overy). Prior to that, Gonzalo worked at another leading Spanish law firm (Uría Menéndez)"