Gillian is an experienced employment lawyer, supporting our regional and global employment, pensions and incentives practices.
Gillian advises primarily banks and multinational companies on a broad range of employment-related issues, including recruitment, employment contracts and HR policies, disciplinary action, employment litigation, discrimination and equal opportunities issues, workplace behaviour, personal data, redundancies and employment termination. Gillian also provides employment law advice in relation to mergers and acquisitions and corporate re-structures.
Gillian is focussed on delivering sound, practical advice which supports clients' commercial drivers and objectives.
Gillian's experience includes advising:
- an international bank in its defence, and ultimately settlement, of a number of proceedings brought by a former employee in the High Court and Labour Tribunal
- a financial services firm on employment related aspects of the closure of its Hong Kong office, including advising on negotiations with several employees in relation to separation terms
- a multi-national financial services firm on its obligations under the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance in connection with a former employee's data access request, including available exemptions
- a global travel company on the employment law aspects of its acquisition of a travel website, including the implementation of redundancies and employment issues arising post-integration
- various clients on a range of employee benefits, including statutory annual leave, maternity leave, end of year payments, sickness entitlements, and the method of calculating applicable payments
Gillian holds a Bachelor of Laws from La Trobe University. She was admitted to legal practice in Victoria, Australia in 2008 and Hong Kong in 2013. She also spent four years as a registered foreign lawyer in Singapore, including a 12 month secondment with a property investment firm.