Gerard works with sponsors, borrowers and bank syndicates to negotiate and document complex energy and infrastructure projects and acquisitions.
Gerard has a particular expertise in renewable energy projects and is a market-leading lawyer in the Australian renewables market. He assists clients in negotiating financing packages, government grants, power purchase agreements and assisting investors on their investments in large-scale wind, solar and hydro projects.
Gerard achieves results for clients though commerciality, market experience, responsiveness and quality legal documentation.
Gerard has more than 19 years’ of legal energy experience and has acted on numerous landmark deals in the infrastructure privatisation, PPP and large-scale renewables sectors.
He is named in Best Lawyers and Chambers Guide and listed in Doyle’s Guide as a ‘pre-eminent’ energy and resources practitioner.
Gerard’s experience includes advising:
- the successful Wellington Gateway Partnership on the financing arrangements of the NZ$1 billion New Zealand Transmission Gully Road Public Private Partnership
- the sponsor(s) or bank syndicates on the majority of Australia’s wind farms to achieve financial close including recently Stockyard Hill, Coopers Gap, Bodangora, White Rock, Cattle Hill, Mt Gellibrand, Willogoloche, Mt Emerald, Mortlake South, Kiata, Coonooer Bridge, Kennedy, Gullen Range Wind Farm and Moorabool South Wind Farm
- NSW Ports Consortium on the limited recourse project financing of the A$5.07 billion lease of Port Botany and Port Kembla from the New South Wales Government
- Civic Nexus Finance Pty Ltd on its US$202 million US private placement of senior secured notes due in 2032 for Melbourne’s landmark Southern Cross station
- the sponsor(s) or bank groups on numerous of Australia’s thermal power stations including Pelican Point, Bayswater, Liddell, Loy Yang B, Millmerran, Yallourn, and Neerabup
- the sponsor(s) or bank syndicates on several Australian gas pipelines including MAPS, SEAGas, Mortlake and Kambalda to Esperance
- the sponsor(s) or bank groups on numerous of Australia’s large-scale solar projects to achieve financial close including Kiamal Solar Farm, Haughton Solar Farm, Ross River Solar Farm, Lilyvale Solar Farm, Gullen Range Solar Farm, Winton Solar Farm, Moree Solar Farm, Williamsdale Solar Farm, Barcaldine Solar Farm, Oakey Solar Farm and Longreach Solar Farm
Gerard graduated from Griffith University with a Bachelor of Commerce and a Bachelor of Laws (Honours). He also has a Graduate Diploma in Banking and Finance Law from the University of Melbourne.
Gerard’s experience outside Herbert Smith Freehills includes secondment to ANZ Investment Bank as in-house legal counsel; solicitor in the Project Finance Group at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, London; and in-house legal counsel at Goldman Sachs International.