Gerald specialises in mitigating, managing and resolving complex cross-border commercial disputes. He acts for clients in international arbitration proceedings, helps manage related proceedings and advises them on dispute resolution strategies.
His experience spans a broad range of sectors including projects, construction, telecommunications, commodities and regions including North and Southeast Asia, Australia, and the Middle East.
Gerald's experience includes:
- acting for the subsidiary of a multinational construction company in a US$300 million Singapore-seated SIAC arbitration concerning a power plant project in India.
- acting for an Asian telecommunications company in a Singapore-seated SIAC arbitration against a Middle East company in a joint-venture-type dispute which resulted in dismissal of the opponent's approximate US$32 million claim.
- acting for a major Korean construction company against a Thai bank in an ICC arbitration concerning performance bonds.
- advising a leading Asian trading house against a commodities trading company in insolvency proceedings before the High Court of Singapore.
- serving as tribunal secretary in a Singapore-seated SIAC arbitration involving an dispute between Japanese and Filipino parties.
Gerald obtained his bachelor's degree in law from the National University of Singapore and his master's degree in law from Boston University. He is admitted to practice in Singapore and New York. He speaks English and Mandarin Chinese. He serves on the committee of the Young Members Group of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators for the Singapore branch.