Geoffrey has experience of acquisitions, disposals, demutualisations, high value/longevity reinsurers, regulatory capital, securitisation and other transactions in the insurance sector, together with extensive experience of prudential and other regulatory advice to insurers and reinsurers.
He has worked with a number of mutuals and has provided legal and regulatory advice on a broad range of issues arising from clients' with-profits business. He also has particular experience of transfers of insurance business, having led the firm's team advising on more than twenty such transfers.
His experience includes:
- Resolution on its £3.6 billion acquisition of Abbey National’s life businesses and associated £1.54 billion rights issue
- Swiss Re on the UK aspects of its US$6.8 billion acquisition of GE Insurance Solutions
- a major international reinsurer on its ground-breaking €490 million reinsurance (with Deutsche Bank) of Santander's Spanish and Portuguese life insurance business, the first of its kind in Spain and Portugal
- Lloyds Banking Group on the reorganisation of its life insurance businesses by way of Part VII transfer, involving the transfer of the business of seven insurers into a single vehicle
- a leading UK life mutual on all aspects of its response to the changes to the FSA's with-profits regulatory regime
He is the author of the chapter on Insurance Business Transfers in A Practitioner's Guide to the FSA Regulation of Insurance (5th edition, City & Financial Publishing, 2014) and joint Consulting Editor of "A Practitioner's Guide to Solvency II" (Sweet & Maxwell, 2016).
Geoffrey is ranked in Band 1 for Non-contentious Insurance in Chambers UK 2016. Clients describe him as "very seasoned practitioner" and "practical and solutions-focused", he has "excellent technical knowledge and an in-depth understanding of the issues faced by the client".