Gavin has extensive experience of cross-border corporate transactions, including public company takeovers, private mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, public securities offerings, capital reconstructions and demergers. He acts for financial investors, corporates and investment banks and speaks English, French and Spanish.
In addition to his advisory work, Gavin has spent time seconded to longstanding client EDF and the investment banking legal team of a major investment bank. He has also served as General Counsel for the continental European arm of another global bank.
Clients single out Gavin for “the breadth and depth of his technical expertise and capability” and his “problem-solving skills and responsiveness”.
Gavin continues to play a key role in driving the firm's response to Brexit and has advised a number of clients and market participants on the implications for business. He is also regularly invited to comment on international trade and investment, cross-border M&A, Brexit and related issues in the media.
Gavin has advised:
- a sovereign wealth fund in relation to its bid for North Sea Midstream Partners
- DWS and Corsair on their marketing for sale of their stakes in Kelda (Yorkshire Water)
- QSuper in relation to their investment in Heathrow Airport
- Allianz, Amber Infrastructure, Dalmore Capital and DIF on their successful consortium bid for the £4.2 billion Thames Tideway Tunnel
- GIC on its acquisition of a 49% stake in Railpool from Oaktree Capital Management and the subsequent syndication by Oaktree of a 25% stake
- GIC and EDF Invest on their bid for a 40% stake in Eurostar
- International Exhibition Services on their disposal of Allworld Exhibitions to UBM for ~£485m
- InfraVia on its acquisition with Macquarie Capital of a 39.39% stake in Metro de Málaga
- Deutsche Alternative Asset Management in relation to the divestment of other investors' interests in Kelda (Yorkshire Water) and its exercise of rights
- EDF on its £12.5 billion takeover of British Energy, subsequent joint ventures with Centrica and the £35 billion development of new nuclear power plants in the UK
- SAS Trustee Corporation/STC (StateSuper) in relation to its acquisition of a minority interest in Kelda (Yorkshire Water)
- Bharti Airtel on the ~US$1 billion disposal of its businesses in Sierra Leone and Burkina Faso to Orange
- United Breweries on the sale of a stake in United Spirits to Diageo for ~£1.2 billion
- Deutsche Bank on the monetisation of its investment in Alliance Boots on its ~$6.7 billion disposal by funds controlled by KKR and Stefano Pessina to Walgreens
- Carlyle in relation to its €100 million acquisition from ConAgra Foods of certain nutrition businesses in Spain and Portugal
- Goldman Sachs on its late-stage venture capital investment in a leading European online retailer of furniture and homewares
- Hellman & Friedman on the ~$1.8 billion merger of two portfolio companies to form Ellucian
- VAE, the Lithuanian state-owned utility, on its plans for a €5 billion nuclear power plant joint venture
- Yell Group in relation to its acquisition of Telefónica Publicidad e Información (TPI) by way of a £2.13 billion cash offer