Gavin has extensive experience of cross-border corporate transactions, including public company takeovers, private mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, public securities offerings, capital reconstructions and demergers. He acts for financial investors, corporates and investment banks and speaks English, French and Spanish.
In addition to his advisory work, Gavin has spent time seconded to longstanding client EDF and the investment banking legal team of a major investment bank. He has also served as General Counsel for the continental European arm of another global bank.
Clients single out Gavin for “the breadth and depth of his technical expertise and capability” and his “problem-solving skills and responsiveness”.
Gavin continues to play a key role in driving the firm's response to Brexit and has advised a number of clients and market participants on the implications for business. He is also regularly invited to comment on international trade and investment, cross-border M&A, Brexit and related issues in the media.
Gavin has advised:
- EDF on its £12.5 billion takeover of British Energy and on the negotiation of its subsequent UK joint ventures in relation to the £35 billion development of new nuclear power plants in the UK
- United Breweries on the sale of a stake in United Spirits to Diageo for £1.2 billion
- a leading private equity fund on the $1.8 billion merger of two portfolio companies
- VAE, the Lithuanian state-owned utility, on its plans for a €5 billion nuclear power plant joint venture
- Deutsche Bank on the monetisation of its investment in Alliance Boots on its $6.7 billion disposal by funds controlled by KKR and Stefano Pessina to Walgreens