Gary advises clients on a wide range of commercial disputes. He helps them to navigate litigation, arbitration and alternative forms of dispute resolution, often with an international dimension and typically involving complex issues.
He regularly advises clients with commercial contract disputes (including those relating to joint ventures), actions in negligence, claims for breach of directors’ duties, fraud cases, matters involving economic torts and other forms of secondary liability as well as the contentious aspects of group insolvency.
Gary helps clients across various sectors but has a particular focus on the financial sector, including banking and private equity, as well as other professional and business services.
He regularly writes for well known publications and is co-author of "Disclosure of Information: Norwich Pharmacal and Related Principles". He is well respected by leading legal directories and is "highly rated" within Legal 500.
Gary's experience includes advising:
- as independent solicitor appointed by the Court to review and report on the disclosure exercise undertaken by parties involved in Commercial Court litigation
- the Ernst & Young administrators of European subsidiaries within the Nortel group in relation to the global insolvency, including contentious proceedings in the US and Canadian courts
- Goldman Sachs in relation to claims brought by the Libyan Investment Authority to recover substantial sums in respect of derivatives trades executed in 2008
- Rawlinson & Hunter trustees in relation to disputes in Guernsey against former trustees and also against subsidiaries (now in administration) asserting claims to recover from trust assets
- a founding member of Charterhouse private equity on challenges to the amendment of the Articles of Association and the subsequent forced sale of his shares.
Gary has an M.A. in Jurisprudence from Oxford University and an LL.M. from Harvard Law School.
He qualified in 1997, both in England and in Hong Kong and has been a partner since 2004. He is a qualified Solicitor Advocate and an accredited mediator.