Gareth has over 13 years' experience in a wide range of commercial disputes of varying size and complexity, including High Court litigation and offshore jurisdictions (including BVI, Cayman Islands, Isle of Man, Guernsey, Jersey and Bermuda), as well as arbitrations.
He has acted for a wide variety of international clients, from major companies to ultra-high net worth individuals and has a particular interest in commercial contract disputes, fraud cases, shareholder disputes and disputes involving injunctive relief.
Gareth has considerable experience in disputes arising out of Russia, Ukraine and the CIS and is a member of the firm's Ukraine Group.
Gareth is also part of our private wealth disputes team and regularly advises trustees and beneficiaries in relation to contentious trusts matters. Gareth is a full member of both the Society of Trusts and Estates Practitioners (STEP) and the Association of Contentious Trusts and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS).
Gareth is also actively involved in pro bono activities and is the co-ordinator of Whitechapel Legal Advice Clinic, HSF's flagship pro bono legal advice clinic.
Gareth's experience includes advising:
- The United States of America in connection with claims for the forfeiture of assets stolen by the late General Abacha. This involved obtaining injunctive relief under Section 21 of the Civil Jurisdiction and Judgments Act.
- a major Russian bank in proceedings against a guarantor involving applications for freezing injunctions and committal to prison of the guarantor.
- Tarek Investments Limited in its high profile, multi-jurisdictional dispute relating to the Aman Hotels business.
- Rawlinson & Hunter trustees in relation to disputes in Guernsey against former trustees and also against subsidiaries (now in administration) asserting claims to recover from trust assets
- a Russian private equity house in a contractual dispute relating to an investment in Russian oil assets