Géraldine Marteau advises on the handling of pre-litigation and litigation cases on behalf of financial and banking institutions in the following fields: structured finance, portfolio and asset management, funds distribution, swaps litigation and enforcement measures. She represents these clients before the enforcement committees of the AMF and of the ACPR, as well. Géraldine has also developed knowledge and skill in the field of cross-border investigations of international sanctions working for financial institutions and French companies. She also advises Russian companies before French courts.
In addition, for approximately two years Géraldine was on a part-time secondment, working for a major French asset management company. Before qualifying as a lawyer, Géraldine worked in Russia (Moscow) for one year, teaching to Russian students at the law faculty of the Higher School of Economics and for an anglo-saxon law firm.
She also acquired experience working for an Anglo-Saxon law firm. Géraldine graduated with honours from Paris X Nanterre University in 2001. She holds a Master's degree in international trade law and a Master's degree with a double major in French business law and Russian law. In November 2007, Géraldine received a Certificate of Training for Accredited Mediator from the London School of Mediation.
Géraldine regularly publishes articles in both French and English on banking and finance litigation subjects, as well as money laundering issues.
Géraldine's experience includes:
- defending a major French bank in investigation launched by US Department of Justice and other foreign authorities regarding possible cartel conduct in several sovereign bond markets*
- defending a major portfolio management company in the context of an investigation carried out by the AMF regarding various bond issues, and more specifically, regarding a potential insider dealing by a fund manager at this bank*
- successfully defended a French subsidiary of an African banking group before the ACPR enforcement committee, as a result of several breaches of French banking regulation*
- successfully defending a Russian entity in a dispute relating to a seizure initiated by former shareholders of the Yukos petroleum group, further to the enforcement of an arbitration award against the Russian Federation for dozens billions of dollars*
- assisting several French companies and financial institutions in the context of the EU financial sanctions against Russia in relation to the situation in Ukraine/Crimea*
- successfully assisted a Russian group regarding massive fraud carried out by several individuals and companies amounting to U.S.$173m and subsequent money laundering activities*
- assisting a French bank, part of a banking pool, in the context of tort liability lawsuits initiated by a court-appointed receiver representing a group of bankrupt companies*
- assisting and representing a French bank in its capacity as lender in legal proceedings concerning the seizure of an aircraft*
*Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills