As Head of the in-house legal department of an international insurer, his practice has focused of the management of contracts with clients, supervising and managing significant claims, as well as all other corporate and regulatory aspects.
Francisco has extensive professional experience in the insurance sector. He has held a number of different positions in Mapfre, an international insurer and reinsurer. He worked at Mapfre Caución y Crédito as head of legal disputes from 2007, and in 2011 he moved to Mapfre Global Risks, first in the capacity as head of its legal services and then, before joining Herbert Smith Freehills, as deputy head of legal of Mapfre Global Risks. At this company he was also a member and secretary of its Excecutive Committee, secretary of its International Advisory Board and secretary of its Board of Directors.
Before joining Mapfre he acted as insurance recoveries manager at Madrid Leasing and Finanmadrid (both belonging to Servicios Financieros Banco Mapfre-Caja Madrid holding company), a period during which he was a member of the Legal Committee of the Asociación Española de Leasing (the Spanish Leasing Association, or AEL). He has also headed up the legal disputes at Banco Mapfre; acted as head of legal at the credit institutions Mapfre Finanzas, Mapfre Leasing, Mapfre Factoring and Mapfre Hipotecaria, a period during which he was also a member of the board of the Asociación Española de Entidades de Financiación (Spanish Association of Financing Institutions, or ASNEF) and AEL.
His experience includes:
- corporate transactions engaged by insurers: acquisitions, mergers and divisions, insurance portfolio transfers
- advising on financial and real estate investments within the framework of Solvency II
- relations with the insurance market supervisory authorities in Spain and in Latin America
- corporate governance of insurance companies
- international insurance programs
- credit and surety insurance
- handling and management of complex claims